Thanks, as always, to Nancy at A Rural Journal for connecting so many bloggers through the Random 5 Fridays. Check it out, and join us!
Here’s my Random 5 for this week:
- This week was a banner one for the garden. I brought in carrots, beets, onions, figs, strawberries, tomatoes, sage, and the year’s first pears! I planted the pear tree for my hubby, because I’m not overly fond of pears…but I can’t quit staring at them. They look like a miracle to me.
- Speaking of miracles, I had an “event” with my eye that could have been quite serious, but isn’t. The gel part of the eye pulled away from the retina. This is okay as long as it doesn’t take part of the retina with it. I will need to keep it checked for the next 60-90 days, but so far my vision is intact (though I seem to need to need to limit my computer time).
- I heard more than I wanted to this week about “twerking.” I didn’t see the controversial performance at the American Music Awards, for which I am deeply grateful.
- I finished my second draft of my novel! One of these days I’ll try to come up with a decent title so I can call it by name. It’s getting better, and my research into the Bernie Madoff scandal is giving it a nice depth and flavor. I’ll take a week off or so, then back at it for yet another round! I’m hoping to share some chapters after I finish the next draft.
- We spent a few days bopping around Portland, Oregon, and had a lovely time. We went to gardens (of course), the Art Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry, and Powell’s Bookstore, to name a few. We also took a brunch cruise on the Willamette River and spent some time in the spa.
Have a great weekend, everyone! See you next week!
I’ve so enjoyed your random 5 that I’ve finally jumped in the game. I haven’t been to Portland’s Japanese Garden, but I do love the Chinese Garden.
We couldn’t get to the Chinese garden on this trip, but it’s on our list for next time. Glad to hear it’s worth a look!
I didn’t see the video in question nor do I have any idea what twerking is. I’m sure I can live without both. 🙂
Good luck with your eye situation — does sound serious.
There are so many advantages to shutting the television off!
The eye still seems to be okay…the wait and see is a little scary, but so far so good.
My husband had the same eye problem. It was scary because they thought at first it was a detached retina. Hope yours does well. And congrats on finishing the draft! I’m excited for you.
I had never even heard of twerking until this week.
Nice to know that your husband’s eye problem ended up okay, as mine appears to be. I figure that once I cross that 90-day mark, I won’t worry so much.
I hadn’t heard of twerking, either. Seems like no matter how much I try to avoid the subject, it’s everywhere. If the girl wanted attention, she certainly got it!
wow, glad 2 hear ur eye is ok. sounds scary & unsettling too. ( :
Thanks, Beth. It was indeed a scary thing, and sometimes I’m still a bit nervous about it, though less so with each passing day.
The pears look simply delicious!! And they look so pretty sitting in the bowl. Hope everything continues to go well with your eye. I envy people who write novels. What an accomplishment!
Thanks! We’re enjoying them. Hoping for apples soon.
Thanks for the good thoughts about the eye. I’m feeling better about it.
Hi Nadine, I don’t know how I missed this post, am super excited that you are getting closer to publishing your second novel, I so enjoyed your first!!!! Look after that eye and your pears are gorgeous.
Thanks, Lynn! Glad you liked the book. We’re in pear heaven right now, but I’m keeping a close eye on the apples!