Random 5 Friday – Movin’ On
Fall is on full display in Philadelphia (taken at the Barnes Foundation)
This morning’s Random 5 post comes to you from Langhorne, Pennsylvania. Yesterday we took the train from NYC to Princeton, NJ, where we rented a car and are looking forward to more interesting explorations. Thanks to Nancy at A Rural Journal for hosting the Friday Random 5…I know I say this every week, but some really fine bloggers hook up to her site every week, and are well worth your time!
Here’s my Random 5 for this week:
- I love eating seasonally, and that means I’ve been getting more than my fair share of pumpkin. This past week I enjoyed pumpkin hummus in NYC, and last night I had a pumpkin risotto at Talula’s Garden in Philadelphia. Talula’s is spendy, but the food is fresh, local, and exquisite. If you’re looking for a splurge, check it out. We had s’mores for dessert, truly decadent with rich, dark chocolate.
- We’ve been fortunate in our lives that we have been able to travel the world and see some of its greatest art. Yesterday we explored the Barnes Foundation, right in good ol’ Philadelphia, which is filled with Renoirs, Cezannes, and the occasional Van Gogh sprinkled in the mix. It is one of the great museums of the world, in my opinion. We walked from room to room, gasping all the way.
- Riding around in downtown Philadelphia makes me cringe. We plugged in our GPS (affectionately known as Gertrude or Gertie) to take us to Independence Hall, but at rush hour it’s hard to get in the right lanes and make the turns, so our trip was longer and more stressful than we expected. After more than 30 years of living in Houston, you would think it wouldn’t faze me, but no.
- We also saw the Rodin museum. We had no idea that Philly had one, but when we saw it we decided to wander in.
- I’m looking forward to spending some time in Amish country. Cities are nice, but I’m ready to get back into more rural settings.
Have a great weekend!
The Liberty Bell…I thought the gardens in front of the building were gorgeous!